1. Heat a deep saucepan then, add the oil or butter followed by the onions and garlic.
2. Fry until the onions caramelise. Add salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red chilli powders and mix for 1 minute then tip in the tomato. Cook the sauce until it begins to thicken.
3. Add ¼ cup of water and stir. Tip in the chickpeas, mix and mash a few of the chickpeas while cooking. Cover and simmer for five minutes.
4. Add the ginger and garam masala and cook for another minute.
5. Serve with pitta bread or plain basmati rice.
Estimated cost for four people: Less than $20 (roughly $2.75/person)