Chocolate Stack Mousse Cake (GF)
Time: 1 hr 10 min (50 min cooking time)
1. Preheat oven to 180C and a rectangular slice tin (20x30cm) oiled and lined with baking paper.
2. Place butter, sugar into a heat-proof bowl and heat in microwave for 1 min, stir and heat again for an additional min. Gently whisk mixture until it comes together (usually 1 min or 2), place to one side to cool slightly
3. Sift cocoa powder and besan flour together in a separate bowl. Gradually stir butter mixture into dry mix until combined. Add eggs and stir until fully incorporated.
4. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 25 mins. The brownies will look a little undercooked in the middle when done. Leave in tin to cool
5. Then cover and place in refrigerator until fully chilled. Now make the mousse layer
6. Melt the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl (large enough to hold all ingredients) and set it over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Leave to cool until just warm.
7. Using an electric stand mixer, whisk the eggs and yolks together until thick and pale
8. In a separate bowl, whip 300ml of the cream to soft peaks
9. Heat the remaining cream in a small saucepan over low heat until simmering, remove the pan from the heat
10. Soak the gelatine in a sauce of cold water until soft then squeeze out any excess liquid. Stir the soaked gelatine into the cream until dissolved
11. Fold the egg mixture into the melted chocolate until combined, add the warm cream and gently fold through the whipped cream
12. Pour mousse on top of the chilled brownie mixture and place in the fridge to set overnight
Dust the top of the mousse with a good layer of cocoa powder and cut using a clean hot knife. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Recipe Tester Notes: This a great party dessert as it needs to be made the day before. The top was super light and the base super dense. We definitely prefer it made with premium cocoa powder for the flavour. We also think it works topped with grated dark chocolate and espresso beans for that extra flavour punch.