Mini Polenta Pizza's
Time: 1 hr 20 min
1. To make the polenta base, bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a large pan and pour in the polenta in a thin stream, whisking constantly. The mixture will thicken fast a good consistency is when the polenta is so thick the grains don't sink. Cook, stirring occasionally (roughly every 10 min) until the polenta is cooked- around 30–40 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan plus salt and pepper to taste
2. Spread the polenta out onto a lightly oiled baking sheet to around 1/2 cm/1/4 inch in thickness. Leave to cool, then chill until set, around 1 hour
3. Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Cut out 4 large circles using a 9 cm (3 1/2 in) cutter (alternatively, cut the base into a pretty shape)
4. Place shapes onto a lightly oiled baking tray and put in the oven for 10 min. Flip the bases carefully as they will be hot.
5. Top each pizza with 1 tablespoonful of sauce and some grated cheese. Add any other toppings that you like. Bake for a further 13–15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling
6. Place on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before serving (this gives the bases a chance to firm up a little)
You can freeze these pizzas already assembled and bake from frozen, adding 2–3 minutes to the cooking time
Recipe Tester Notes: When spreading the polenta to cool in the fridge slightly wet your hands or the spatula to stop the polenta sticking to you. We loved this served with a side salad. Also, a great idea for the leftover polenta is to thinly slice it and deep fry making polenta chips which taste amazing!