Time: 1 hr 15 min
1. Chop the eggplant into 1cm cubes, put into a colander and toss with a couple of pinches of salt
2. Leave for half an hour to drain, rinse then squeeze as much liquid as you can with your hands
3. Finely dice the mushrooms and onion
4. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion until it softens and colours then add the crushed garlic and fry for 1 minute. Remove the onion and garlic from the pan and add to a mixing bowl
5. Add the eggplant to the frying pan and fry until soft and well cooked and brown. Puree the cooked eggplant in a food processor
6. Fry the mushrooms until they release any liquid and they brown
7. Add the eggplant puree, the cooked mushrooms and all the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands. Taste and season if necessary then chill the mixture in the fridge for at least an hour
8. Preheat Oven to 180deg C
9. Form the mixture into 10 balls and place on a baking sheet that has been lined with baking paper and sprayed with oil. Spray the balls with oil as well.
10. Bake at 180deg C for 20-25 minutes turning them halfway through to make sure they brown all over.
Recipe Tester Notes: This is flavourful but don't be afraid to season. We loved this with a spicy tomato sauce on Mediterranean couscous!